Multi-dimensional politics

Brexit has made me think a lot more about politics than I ever have in my life and about how following in the footsteps of the Messiah relates to politics. I think it has made me realise that I had become complacent with the status quo and more than anything that the direction the English speaking world is taking is definitely not the way of Christ.

Historically we have used a left <-> right scale that have had Christians scattered across the line. The reason for this scattering is that there are other dimensions and some Christians have desired those other attributes of the related party and then assumed because of that almost everything with the party must implicitly be Christian.

The left <-> right labels of  Democrat vs Republican or Labour vs Conservative I find particularly unhelpful. This is even worse when one tries to translate between America and the UK with these terms.

When I saw the political compass I thought that was a really useful addition. Especially looking at how the political parties moved over time.


However, seeing what is happening with Trump and Brexit and the stance of the various political parties it has challenged me to think again. None of them reflect where I am nor could I accept any of them as being the way of Christ. Some of them I see as the direct antithesis of the way of Christ.

Hence I realised that at least three dimensions are needed, so I modified the dimensions:

I have changed some of the words used and realise that the words I have used frequently have alternative meanings in common parlance. So this is what I mean by each term:

Communist: Someone who believes in the community above and beyond the individual to the point that everything is held as a ‘common purse’ and no assets owned by the individual. Motivation is seen as the good of the community.

Capitalist: Someone who believes in the individual above and beyond the community to the point that personal wealth and benefit is at the expense of others. Motivation is seen as payment for labour or the accumulation of wealth.

Authoritarian: Someone who believes that for society to function it has to be controlled by the community and imposed on the individuals within that community.

Anarchist: Someone who believes that all control is wrong.

Moralist: Someone who believes their internal moral framework should be used throughout the community.

Libertarian: Someone who believes that all things that don’t harm someone else should be permitted with little or no moral framework outside of that premise.

Then I realised that three dimensions are not enough and the fourth dimension would be Centralisation vs Subsidiarity.

Centrality: Primary decision making as high up the political structure as possible.


Subsidiarity: The belief that a central authority should have a subsidiary function, performing only those tasks which cannot be performed at a more local level.

What I have observed is that you have some people who appear to believe in Anarchy at the Global scale and Centralised Authoritarian at the national scale with little or no Subsidiarity.


Where am I in all this?

So, I'm still thinking through these things but in doing so I am seeing myself centrist towards the communist end of the continuum as far as Communist <-> Capitalist goes. I had friends in communities that shared everything in common. I like the idea, but it's a step too far for me personally. Though using what we have primarily for the good of the community is something I believe we are definitely called to. 
32 Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. 33 And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold 35 and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. (Acts 4:32-35 English Standard Version (ESV))
Moralism <-> Libertarian needs some explaining. I believe God gives us freedom. Freedom to do good and freedom to sin. Moralists don't just have morals they wish to control society to fit in with their morals. Moralism in the way I am using it here means creating a society where it is difficult or impossible to sin. Think of the tithingman of the Middle Ages.

God, on the other hand, doesn't control things so we cannot sin. Hence my belief is society should do the same. I lean strongly towards the Libertarian end of the spectrum since see that as the way God deals with us all.

Within the Authoritarian <-> Anarchist spectrum, I am probably pretty much central. We need laws to facilitate trade and relationships between people. We need traffic laws. We need laws to ensure what we buy is safe to use, not merely cheap... and so on. But I think we have too many laws in general.

On the Centrality <-> Subsidiarity scale I am both ends at the same time in some ways. I do believe strongly in subsidiarity, but also realise that some things have to be co-ordinated at the top level to allow society to function. That's why I am pro the EU. It follows exactly my model for centrality and subsidiarity.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The way forward... a potential positive future

The Impending Economic Tsunami

Antisemitism in 2023